Friday, October 25, 2019

The Book Two Posts Ep. 6: Friday Eve and Climaxes

A lot of the time, I come up with thoughts for blog posts while I'm in the midst of doing other things. Then, they slip my mind because I'm doing other things. Life has been pretty hectic for the last, I don't know, five years? I sometimes feel like I don't even have time to day dream, which is just plain wrong.

Anyway, back to writing updates. :)
I am currently rewriting the climax of the book. As everyone knows, climaxes are really important, so it's an intimidating task. You can't rush through these things. I just knew that, in the first draft, which is usually my just-get-anything-down-I-don't-care-just-write-something draft, I didn't nail it. So, I've edited and re-edited most of the book, but this is my first rewrite of the climax. And, during this process, I can only think of one bit of advice that I read over twenty years ago.

The book was called Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott, and in it, Anne has an anecdote about a boy, her brother, if I remember correctly. He's trying to write a report about birds for a school assignment, and, like many kids do, he has put it off until the last minute. Overwhelmed, the boy is told to take it bird by bird. One bird at a time. She also uses the analogy of just writing about everything you see in a one-inch picture frame. You don't have to be able to see the whole thing all at once. When panic sets in, you just focus on that one inch. When that's done, you move on to the next inch.

I am not even at the real action part of the climax, and this version is already so many times better than my early version. This is the part of writing where I can appreciate the opportunity to go back and plant clues and details earlier in the story or tie something from earlier together with the ending. It's something that isn't done on a first draft. It would be like trying to draw a map to a place where no one has ever been. Yes, you may know enough about where you are going to plant some clues, but the story may evolve in ways you didn't plan.

It's been a long time coming, but we are nearing the end of this book. 

TTFN.





No comments:

Post a Comment