Saturday, June 8, 2019

The Book Two Posts: The Rewrite Ep. 4 and Life

I'm in the process of working on the rewrite of Book Two, and I'm at least 29 Chapters into it, which is over halfway. The good news is that I've figured out how to address an issue that I've been wrestling with.

I won't really call it a block. It's one of those things that I've been asking myself how far down this rabbit trail do I go, and is this something I should do? I was trying to figure out the best way to look at the plot. Situations like this one are where I'm faced with those thoughts I had put on the back burner to deal with later. Then it's time to, as my mother would say, fish or cut bait. You have to decide which one you want to do. Nobody can help me with those decisions. They don't know enough about where I'm coming from or where I'm going to help.

In such situations, you might say that the simplest explanation is best, but, is it a cop-out? Is it following a cliche or avoiding confrontation by following the path of least resistance? In the end, I decided on a compromise, and I think that the plot is better for it without being overdone at all. 

Of course, every decision brings about more choices, and, as Anne Lamott said, it's kind of like "putting an octopus to bed." There are lots of things to deal with before it's finished.

I took off from real life for a few days to relax and have fun. We got together with family at my mom's, and I spent a few hours chasing kids around. I passed out after they left, and the next day, we headed out flea-marketing. I came back with a few frames. The next day, I headed home again to relax and regroup. I played a few video games and binge-watched a TV series.

Eventually, I pried myself out of the house to get the oil changed in the car and pick up some groceries. I also popped into a local flea market. Then it was back home again to make the most of the weekend before I have to get back to the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment